I've spent the past 3 hours trying to figure out freaking classpath issues: something about a ClassCastException from a org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory. I'm giving up for the day. Stupid freaking classpaths.
The feeling is mutual, brother. I've recently lost plenty of hours to weird errors that turned out to be classpath-related. Maybe I've simply gotten used to putting all my assemblies in the same local folder (and not having to re-create that list elsewhere) or using the Fusion Log, which will tell you what the runtime is trying to load, even if it's hidden by another exception or a silent failure.